S. N. Sogrin witness testimony


Sheet 330

Testimony of witness

On April 24, 1959, the prosecutor-criminalist of the Sverdlovsk region Ivanov interrogated as a witness compliance with Art. 162-165 UPK PSFSR
1. Surname, i.е. Sogrin Sergey Nikolaevich.
2. Year of birth 1937 3. Place of birth in Shanghai, China.
4. Nationality is Russian.
5. Party membership of the Komsomol.
6. Education He studies at the 4th year of the Polytechnic Institute.
7. Occupation: a) currently a student, b) at the time the testimony refers to: -
8. A conviction is not judged.
9. Permanent residence of the city of Sverdlovsk, Kirov Street, 18.
10 The passport: -.
11. What is the relationship with the accused: -
On the responsibility for the first part of Art. 92 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR for refusing to testify and under Art. 95 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR for giving knowingly false testimony is forewarned.


Sheet 330 - Turnover

The witness showed: I entered the institute in 1955 and joined the work of the tourist section. In the first days I met with Dyatlov and other tourists. In the section there is a certain grouping of its members. These groups are usually named after her most initiative comrade - the usual leader of the group. It was such a tourist was Dyatlov. Almost from year to year he was the leader of the campaigns, beginning from the I category and ending with the most difficult III category. Two years Dyatlov worked in the bureau section. Less experienced tourists always turned to him for advice on technology and tactics.
In the winter of 1958-1959, Dyatlov again began to prepare a campaign about which the whole section knew. Initially, the expedition was supposed to be carried out in the Subpolar Urals, but since This district required a lot of time, then it was abandoned and the North Ural was chosen - the region is more accessible and easy. I myself also prepared a third category trip to the Subpolar Urals, and Diatlov and I often talked about our routes, exchanged our experience, jointly decided on some or other issues of preparation, tactics on the route.
On January 23, the group of Dyatlova left Sverdlovsk, four hours later my group left as well. I returned to Sverdlovsk on 24 February. 3-4 hours after my arrival a member of my Sedov campaign came to me and said that the group of Dyatlov had not returned to the deadline.


Sheet 331

Together with him we went to the institute, where we met Milman LS, who knew nothing more about what happened than we did. The trade union committee organized round-the-clock duty, groups were being prepared for the search. The most active participation in the organization of all searches in Sverdlovsk these days was taken by the chairman of the trade union committee, V. Slobodin.
The next day, i.e. February 25, I flew to Ivdel. On the same day, flew Axelrod, Tipikin, Yaburov, Chiglintsev. The last two are as radio operators. They landed in Artemovsky, that they would take radio stations; but they were completely unsuitable for rescue (weighed about 200 kg). After 3-hour negotiations with Sverdlovsk, the radio factory had to carry only 2 stations (the plane did not take any more), which were completely unnecessary. In the evening there was a meeting of the commission, which invited me and Axelrod. From all that I learned there, it became clear that the real and planned searches began only with the arrival of Comrade Maslennikov, tk. the company that gathered there was not at all competent in matters of tourism and organizing rescue operations.
In the Axelrod group I was put on a helicopter on February 26 to the eastern ridge of the city of Oorten. Our task included a thorough survey of the site of the town of Oorten and all its slopes, because it was considered the most likely site of the accident. On February 27, Axelrod, Tipikin and I left the camp on the Sulpa.


Sheet 332

in the city of Oorten. Then we examined all its slopes and passes. We went down to the south. As a result of 10-hour searches found that Dyatlov group hasn't reached Otorten, and there was no search group of Slobtsov. Slobtsov rose instead of Mr.Otorten to a height of 1023. From the top, a note of a group of MSU tourists dated 1956 was filmed. On the same day, during the search, we received a pennon in which it was reported that a tent of Dyatlov had been found near the height of 1079.
The next day our group was returned to Ivdel. Here, in addition, we learned that four bodies were found: Dyatlov, Kolmogorova, Krivonischenko, Zolotaryov, the latter later turned out to be Doroshenko. With the establishment of the accident site, all search groups were removed and transferred to the area of ​​the accident. Head of the search group at an altitude of 1079 was appointed Maslennikov.
On the first of March I, Axelrod, Tipikin, Ivanov LN. were landed at the scene of the accident. We were greeted by a large group of people tightly wrapped in trunks. The wind threw snow in the face and tried to throw it off the plateau. Quickly loaded into the helicopter things Dyatlova and several people. Behind the large stone lay 3 bodies already pulled up to the helipad. Despite the bad weather (the "weather" is crossed out, then again the same word - comment sost.) The weather went on a quest. The sounding of the slope started, but because of the bad weather and the experience of the search participants, the effectiveness was not great.


Sheet 333

The place of the death of Kolmogorova, Dyatlov passed and approached the cedar. Near him lay Krivonischenko in a shirt and pants. At the cedar the remains of the fire are visible, which burned for about two hours (forwarded from "2-3" - note) because there is not enough firewood. The bonfire was not big and to heat people, and undressed, he could not. From the inspection of the site it became clear that there were not two people here, but more, because Titanic work was done on the preparation of firewood and billet. This is evidenced by a large number of cuts on the trunks of trees, broken branches and Christmas trees, this was later confirmed by the things found at the fire: a shirt cuff from a sweater, a handkerchief.

Returning to the tent in the camp, they took Krivonischenko's body to the helipad. The next day because of the hurricane, the blizzard and lack of visibility were impossible to work and everyone returned to the camp. Near the camp found a pool of the group Dyatlov. Labaz was equipped not badly, the products found in it testified to the good thorough preparation of the group for the campaign. On March 3, the weather improved somewhat. We decided to break the whole area of ​​the place where the Dyatlov group died (the word "Dyatlova" is inscribed on top - note ed.) Is divided into sections and probed with probes every meter. Outside this district, send groups of free search for external inspection of suspicious locations. According to this plan, searches were conducted until March 8th. As a result of the 5th


Sheet 334

March, Slobodin's body was found in a jacket, pants and a valenka (the second was found in a tent). The weather was variable these days, but the prevailing was a bad one: a strong wind, a blizzard, which is typical for the month of March in the Urals.
On March 4, I, Axelrod, Korolev and the 3rd Muscovites ascended to the place where the Dyatlov's tent was installed. All of us here came to the unanimous opinion that the tent was set on all tourist and mountaineering rules. The slope on which the tent stood stood no danger. The steepness of the slope is 15-18 °.
Below the tent on the snow slope are traces, with several chains. This indicates that the group fled from the tent and could not roll on the slope. If we assume that someone left the tent and for some reason rolled down, then he would have flown no more than 10-20 meters. In this case, always, with the strongest wind, there was a real opportunity to return to the tent. Go back to the tent from the cedar, which is located 1.5 km. down the slope, without shoes it is impossible even for the healthiest person.
On March 7, the planned scope of work was completed. Prozondirovali whole valley from the tent to the cedar length of 1.5 km and a width of 300 to 400 m. Sounding was carried out and for the cedar in a radius of 200 meters. They searched the whole valley to the river freely. Lozvy, as well as


Sheet 335

The height of 880 meters and all its slopes. Sam personally took part in the sounding of the valley and inspection of the altitude of 880 meters.
My thoughts on the methods of searching. In my opinion, first with the arrival of Maslennikov, the searches were organized correctly. Initially, overflight was conducted over the hiking area in order to detect traces, smoke of a fire, etc. In parallel with this, search groups were being prepared for disembarkation to the most probable accident sites. (At the same time it is necessary that the searches themselves were conducted by the tourists themselves, and not by the commision, which absolutely does not know the specifics of tourism). With the location of the accident, all the groups were transferred there. Now about the search at the height of 1079.
I believe that the volume of work that was carried out before March 8th gave full grounds for stopping the search before the snow melted. This is evidenced by the experience of rescue work in the mountains. For observation and free search it was possible to leave the group in 5-6 people. Other methods of searching like trench digging or anything else under these conditions would be unacceptable, because here there was no avalanche, no snowfall.
Now when the melting of snow begins, it is necessary to use dogs to search for them, traces of animals rising from hibernation.
Now about the movement of the group Dyatlov along the route. The first days of the march were normal. The group was keenly interested in all what was seen (inscriptions of Mansi)


Sheet 336

They enjoyed themselves on the hikes and rested. In the evening, "as always, they quickly set up a bonfire and put the tent on the berg" (From the diary) on January 31, after a good night's rest, the group reached the upper reaches of the river. Auspia, where she planned to make a lobaz and lightly go to Oorten (I know this from a conversation with Dyatlov before the campaign). Rising on the pass to Lozva, they noticed that the weather was deteriorating, and there was nowhere to do it. Then Dyatlov decided to go down for an overnight stay to Auspia, having previously made a reconnaissance to the pass. The photos of the group speak about this. The transition to this day was difficult, because they went down here from the Mansi trail and themselves torished their skis, stopped late for the night. The next day they probably got up a little later than usual, they decided to do the site, since the place was convenient. It took a lot of time to prepare firewood, which was not enough here, for the relocation of food. After lunch, the group went out in the direction of Ottoten according to the planned plan yesterday, which arose after the reconnaissance. Seeing from the pass a deep descent to Lozvu, Dyatlov decided to go top, which is much more convenient than moving through thin snow in the valley from where you can not see anything. Therefore, on February 1, the group did not go down from the pass, but went further along the slope towards Ottören. In the evening on the slope 1079 a tent was installed.

For unknown reasons, at night,


Sheet 337

Or in the morning (at that time it was light at 8-9 o'clock in the morning) the group in full force fled from the tent. Everyone fled in what he was. It could happen very late in the evening. In all likelihood, the group has already completely settled down for the night, all things were bedded, huddled together in a heap they wrote "Evening Otorten" near a lightbulb or flashlight. Then we lay down to sleep. On duty this night was not, because the stove was not heated. At night someone came out of the tent with a flashlight and on his sign all left the tent. Another variant. In the morning the group had to get up very early to climb the Oorten and go back to the tent, take it off and go down to the house where the wood for the stove was prepared. During dressing breakfast, the group, frightened by something, ran away from the tent. It could be at 5 o'clock, and at 6, or even earlier. I myself went on a hike in the Subpolar Urals and raised my group at 4 o'clock, which would be at 6.00 am to climb the city of Neroyka.

In mountaineering practice they get up even earlier, of which, of course, Dyatlov knew. The effect of the external factor that caused the group to leave the tent, apparently, was quite long, because it takes some time to go down barefoot (1.5 km) barefoot (and not to forget it). Once in this position, they froze, showing


Sheet 338

The colossal will in the struggle for life.

Not found yet members of the group Dyatlov, in my opinion, were also at the fire, but having warm clothes, and most importantly shoes, went in the direction of the 2 nd to your ski track. Not having the strength to fight with deep snow without skis, they also froze somewhere. They did not return to the tent, thinking that it was not there, or afraid to return to it.
Dyatlov's trip to the area did not represent anything unusual This area of ​​the north of the Sverdlovsk region has been developed by tourists for a long time. Every year there are a group of tourists on vacation. Diatlov himself was in that area, but somewhat southward in 1957, I was in that area in 1958.
On the route itself, there were no violations of the group, judging by the diary, the crooks of the path. The composition of the group was quite experienced and well-groomed, i.e. everyone knew each other well for joint trips. Therefore, the group had a formal and real right to go on a similar campaign. As for the preparation of all the documentation of the hike before leaving, I was not interested in them, because was busy himself with his campaign.
About the equipment. Equipment group was provided as any other tourist group. And the equipment is disgusting. If they had better things, good jackets, maybe


Sheet 339

they did not freeze, but could go out to the tent. If we take our institute, and in other sections it is not better, then it is clear that tourism is viewed in a naughty way - go, well, let them go. - but how they walk, and most importantly, what little people are interested in. Tents 4-5 years ago. Good clothes that protect from the wind and cold there. There is no skiing for tourists. the so-called tourist skis of the Kirov Dock do not meet the tourist requirements. Looking for light skis, wide with edging.
In all this you can see a real opportunity to lose more people. In addition, when releasing equipment, for some reason, they absolutely do not care about reducing its weight. A heavy backpack is a big scourge of tourists. It is often difficult to get the right high-calorie and light concentrates.
Now about the rescue service. It seems to me that in each district it is necessary to create spaso-tricks with an inviolable fund of equipment, food, radio stations. Such spasotryad need to have for their use a plane, or a helicopter. All groups going to the area must notify the spam-worker and obtain permission from him.
Spasotryad should open or close areas if staying in them is connected with danger.

Sogrin (signature)
Prosecutor-criminalist Ivanov (signature)


Dyatlov Pass: Open Discussion
Any thoughts on the matter?