Criminal case. COPY OF DYATLOV GROUP'S DIARY January 23, 1959

 January 23
 We're on the road again! We are now sitting in room 531, or rather of course not sitting but frantically shoving into backpacks oatmeal, cans, canned meat. The head of provision distribution (zavhoz) is overseeing that everybody gets everything.
 Where are my felt boots? Y. K. (Yuri Krivonischenko) Can we play mandolin on the train?
 Of course! We forgot the salt! 3kg
 Igor! Where are you? Where is Doroshenko? Why didn't he take 20 packs? Give me 15 cents (kopeeck) to call. The scales, where are the scales? It doens't fit, dam it. Who has the knife?
 Yuri take this to the station.
 Slav Khalizov just got here.
 Hello, hello! Can I get 15 cents?
 Lyuda is counting the money, lots of money. The room is an artistic mess.
 And here we are on the train. We sang all the songs that we know, learned new ones, everyone goes to sleep at 3 (am). I wonder what awaits us in this trip? What will be new? The boys solemnly swore not to smoke the entire trip. I wonder how much will power they have to get by without cigarettes? Everybody is falling asleep, and behind the window Ural taiga is spread in all directions.
 Z. Kolmogorova

January 23 - The group leaves Sverdlovsk (Yekaterinburg today)

 January 24
 7.00 (am) We arrived in Serov (town). We traveled with a Blinov's group. They have... things for hunting and other accessories. At the station we were met with hell of a hospitality. They didn't allow us into the building. The policeman stares at us suspiciously. There is no crime or vandalism in the city, as it suppose to be in times of communism. And then Yuri Krivo started a song, the cops grabbed him and took him away.
 At the attention of citizen Krivonischenko, sergeant explained that the rules of §3 prohibited all activity that would disturb the peace of passengers. It is perhaps the only train station where the songs are forbidden, so we stayed without singing.
 Finally everything is settled by end fo the day. We are leaving Serov to Ivdel at 6:30 pm. We were welcomed warmly in the school near the railway station. The steward (she is also a janitor) bolied some water, and helped us with everything we needed for the preparation for the trek.
 We have the whole day free. We want to go to the city, to visit the nature museum or take a trip to a factory, but too much time is passed in distribution of equipment and cleaning it.
 12.00 In the interval between 1st and 2nd shifts in school we organized meeting with pupils. The room crammed with so many curious children.
 Zolotoryov: "Kids, I will tell you now... Tourism is, enables you to..." Everyone is still, quiet, engaged.
 Z. Kolmogorova: Tra- ta- ta- ta, what's your name, you went where, owesome, you have been camping, she went on and on...
 Questions didn't end. We had to explain and show to every kid everything, from torches to tents. It took us 2 hours, and kids didn't want to let us go. They sang songs to each other. The whole school saw us at the station. Everything ended as expected, when we were leaving, the kids yelled and cried, asking Zina to stay with them. They promised to behave and study well.
 In the train cart a young drunk accused us of stealing his booze from his pocket. For the second time this day the cops were involved.
 Discussion about love provoked by Z. Kolmogorova. Songs, reassesment, Dubinina under the seats, garlic with bread and no water, and we arrived in Ivdel around 12am.
 Large waiting room. Total freedom of action. We took shifts to watch over our stuff all night long. Bus to Vizhay leaves early in the morning.

The night of January 25 Dyatlov Group arrives in Ivdel located 340 km North of their starting point.

 January 26
 We slept in so-called hotel. Two people per bed. Sasha K. (Alexander Kolevatov) and Krivo (Yuri Krivonischenko) slept on the floor between beds. Woke up at 9 am. Everyone sleep well despite the fact we did not completely close the small window and room got a bit cold.
 Outside temperature is -17 C.
 We did not boil water in the morning, wood was damp. In the evening it took us 6 hours to boil the water. Had breakfast in the dining room, goulash and tea.
 When they handed us the lukewarm tea, Gosya (Igor) Dyatlov said with a smile: "If the tea is cold, then go out and drink it on the street, it will be hot." Original thought. We negotiated to go to Settlement 41 by a truck.
 We started at 13.10, and arrived at 16.30. We froze pretty good at the back of GAZ-63.
 While traveling we sang songs, discussed various topics like love, friendship, cancer illness and cures.
 In Settlement 41 we were greeted warmly, they gave us a separate room in the hostel. We talked a lot with the local workers. I remembered particularly the red- bearded man. The Beard, that's what his friends call him.
 Ognev is an old friend, he is described in Lyuda Dubinina's private diary.
 Lunch was served, we ate and now we are resting. Some of the group is watching a movie in the adjacent room. The rest of the group is rummaging through their backpacks. Rustik (Rustem Slobodin) is playing his mandolin, while talking with Kolya (Nick Thibault). I am going to do some adjustment to the equipment.

 I can't, although I tried.
 Nick Thibault

January 26 - the group leaves Ivdel and get a ride with GAZ 63 to the Settlement 41

 The weather is good, the wind was supposed to be blowing in the back. Locals agreed to give us horses sled for the backpacks to North-2 settlement.
 Distance is 24 km. We helped grandpa Slava to unload hay from a carriage and waited for the horse (gone more hay and wood). Waited till 4 pm.
 Guys started writing down a song. One fellow sang beautifully. We heard a number of illegal songs, that one could go to prison for (article 58 counter- revolutionary crimes). Ognev told Igor how to find the house where we can spend the night. We went there 4 pm.
 Before that we bought four loaves of bread. Soft warm bread. We ate 2 loaves.
 Horse is slow. What a pleasure to go without backpacks.
 We covered 8 km in 2 hours. (River Ushma).
 It's getting dark. The horse is causing the delay. Yuri Yudin is still with us. He suddenly fell ill and he can't continue with the trek. He wants to gather few minerals for the University and return.
 North-2 is an abandoned geological site consisting of 20-25 houses. Only one is suitable for living. In complete darkness we found a village and the house. We started a fire with wood boards. Smoke came form the stove. Several people hurt their hands on old nails. Everything is well. Then the horse came. We were talking and joking till 3 in the morning.

January 27 - Dyatlov group leaves Vizhay and set on a trip to Mount Otorten

 January 28
 We were awaken by the rumbling voices of Yurka Kri and Sasha Kolevatov. Weather so far is smiling at us. It's only -8C outside.
 After breakfast, some of the guys lead by Yuri Yudin, our well- known geologist, went to look for local minerals. They didn't find anything except pyrite and quartz veins in the rock. Took them long time to wax their skiis and adjust the mounting. Yuri Yudin goes back home today. It is a pity, of course, that he leaves us. Especially for me and Zina, but nothing can be done about it.
 Started at 11.45. We go up the river Lozva. We take turns to head the group for about 10 minutes. Snow cover is significantly less than last year. We have to stop and scrape the wet, melting snow from the bottom of the skis. Yurka Kri is behind and makes sketches of the route. The bank of the river near North-2 (especially the right bank) are limestone cliffs that rise high at places. Overall the terrain becomes flatter, entirely covered by forest.
 We stop to rest at 5:30pm on river Lozva. Today we spend our first night in the tent. The guys are busy with the stove, sewing curtains out of sheets. With some thing completed and others not, we sit at dinner. After dinner we sit for long time around the campfire and sing heartfelt songs. Zina even tries to learn to play mandolin under guidance of our musician Rustik (Rustem Slobodin). Then we resume our discussions, mostly about love. Someone comes up with an idea that we need a special notebook for ideas that we might come up with. Conspiring, we started going into the tent two people at a time. The suspended stove radiates heat and divides the tent in two sections. The further section is occupied by me and Zina. Nobody wants to sleep by the stove. We agree that Yurka Kri (Krivonischenko) will sleep there. On the other side sleeps the person on duty (Sasha Kolevatov). Yurka couldn't stand the heat and after laying down for 1-2 min, he got up and moved to the second section cursing and accusing us of treason. After that they still argued about something for a long time, but at the end all was quiet.
 Lyuda Dubinina - this entry is not signed, but can't be anybody else but Dubinina.

January 28 - Yuri Yudin departs from a North-2 settlement. Another depressing abandoned place on vast stretches of Siberia. Some of the houses ("izba" in Russian) are abandoned and began to fall apart.

 Second day of our hike. We made our way from the Lozva River to the Auspiya River. We walked along a Mansi trail. The weather is –13C. The wind is weak. We often find ice on the Lozva River. That's all.
 Nick Thibault

 30 January 1959
 Diary is written in the cold on the go.
 Today is a third cold night on the bank of Auspiya river. We are getting used to it. The stove does a great job. Some of us (Thibeaux and Krivonischenko) think we need to build steam heat in the ten.  The curtains in the tent are quite justified. We get up at 8:30am. After breakfast we walk along the Auspiya river, but the ice again doesn't allow us to move forward. We went on the bank on a sledge-deer trail. In the middle of the road the saw Mansi shed. Yes, Mansi, Mansi, Mansi. This word comes up more and more often in our conversations. Mansi are people of the North. Small Hanti-Mansijskiy nation located in Salehard with 8 thousand population. Very interesting and unique people that inhabit the North Polar Urals, close to the Tyumen region. They have a written language, and leave characteristic signs on forest trees. 

 Weather: temperature in the morning - 17 С
 day - 13 С
 night - 26 С.
 The wind is strong, south-west, snow begins to fall, heavy clouds, drop in temperature. The temperature is normal for Northern Urals.
 This is a story about the forest. Mansi signs tell about animals they saw, resting stops and other things. It is particularly interesting to solve its meaning for the tourists as well as historians.
 Deer trail turns into а trodden path, and then ends. To go without a trail is very hard, snow is 120 cm (4 feet) deep. The forest gradually thins and trees get smaller. Lots of dwarf birches and pines. It is impossible to walk on the river. It is not completelly frozen, there is ice and water under the snow. We have to go back on the bank of the river. The day is over and we have to find a place for bivouac. That's the stop for the night. Strong west wind. It blows the snows off the cedar and pine trees, creating the impression of a snow fall.
 As usual we quickly start a fire and pitch the tent on some fir branches. We are warmed by the fire and go to sleep.

 31 January 1959
 Today the weather is a bit worse wind (west), snow (probably from the pines) because the sky is perfectly clear.
 Came out relatively early (around 10am). Took the same Mansi sled trail. Till  now we walk along a Mansi trail, which was crossed by a deer hunter not long ago.
 Yesturday we apparently came across his resting stop. Deer didn't go much further. The hunter didn't follow the beaten trail and we are now in  his steps.
 Today was surprisingly good accommodations for the tent, air is warm and dry, despite the low temperature of -18C to -24C. Walking is especially hard today. Visibility is very low. We can't see the trail and sometimes we have to advance gropingly. All we can do is 1.52 km (1 mile) per hour.
 We are forced to find new methods of clearing the path for the skis. The first member leaves his backpack on the ground and walks forward, then returns and rests for 10-15 minutes with the group. Thus we have a non- stop paving of the trail. It is especially hard for the second to move down the new trail with full gear on the back. We gradually leave the Auspiya valley, the rise is continuous, but quite smooth. Fir trees are replaced by wispy birch-wood. We came out of the tree line. Wind is western, warm, penetrating. The speed of the wind is similar to the air draft created by a taking off airplane.  Firn, open spaces. I can't even start thinking of setting up a storage. It's close to 4. We have to start looking for a place to pitch the tent. We are going south in Auspya river valley. This apparently is the place covered with biggest snow. Wind is not strong, snow cover is 1,22 m. Tired and exhausted we started the preparations for the night. Not enough firewood. Frail damp firs. We started fire with logs, too tired to dig a fire pit. We had supper right in the tent. It's warm. It is hard to imagine such a comfort somewhere on the ridge, with a piercing wind, hundreds kilometers away from human settlements.
 Dyatlov (last record in the diary)

January 31 - Dyatlov group leaves some of their gear in a forest on a platform set high above ground (known as "labaz" or camp base).

February 1 - The group leaves on the last day of their trip. They start out fairly late and walk for only 2.5 miles. They set a tent around 5pm on a slope of Kholat Syakhl just 10 miles from the Mount Otorten. They eat their last dinner between 6- 7pm. Subsequent investigation showed that one or two of the members left the tent to urinate outside of the tent. Since Semen Zolotaryov and Nicolai Thibeaux-Brignolle were better dressed it was suggested that it was the two men who left their shelter before something happened.

Original text in Russian


Dyatlov Pass: Open Discussion
Any thoughts on the matter?