Brusnitsyn witness testimony


Sheet 362

Witness testimony
May 15, 1959 The city of Sverdlovsk
Prosecutor criminologist Ivanov
Interrogated as a witness, subject to Art. 162-168 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the RSFSR.
1. Surname, name, patronymic: Brusnitsin Vadim Dmitrievich
2. Year of birth 1938. 3. Place of birth of Sverdlovsk.
4. Russian nationality
5. Party membership of the Komsomol.
6. Education (which educational institution graduated and when) a student of the 3rd year of UPI, a metallurgist. faculty.
7. Lesson a) currently ... student.
b) at the time the indication relates:
8. Criminal record: we do not judge.
9. Permanent residence (exact address and telephone number): Sverdlovsk, ul. Sheinimana, No. 111, ap. 31.
10. Passport ... -
11. What are the relations with the accused
On the responsibility for the first part of Art. 92 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR for refusing to testify and under Art. 95 Criminal Code of the RSFSR for giving knowingly false testimony is warned.


Sheet 362 (turnover)

The witness showed

I have been engaged in tourism since 1953. I have hikes III, II category of difficulty in the Urals, Sayans, the Caucasus. I am well acquainted with Z. Kolmogorova, Y. Doroshenko. Under the guidance of Zina was in the campaign II cat. in the North Urals (Konzhakov Stone) in the winter of 1958. The participant of this campaign was also J. Doroshenko. In addition, I went with him on the East. Sayan in 1957. With the rest of the comrades, except R. Slobodin, Zolotarev, K.Tibo, all three years of my studies at the institute, was bound by common deeds.
The trip to the Northern Urals was conceived in the fall. The first organizers of it were Y. Vishnevsky, L.Dubinina and S.Biyenko. At first they did not get along well: the organizer did not have enough experience and, most of all, could not complete the group in any way. This continued until Igor Dyatlov took up the cause (for organizing the group). Igor was considered the most experienced tourist in our section. All the difficult trips were held under his leadership and always successfully, except for one: a campaign in the Caucasus in which all participants were dissatisfied with Igor as a leader. At that time, he was somewhat conceited, and the group did not pick up on the characters.


Sheet 363


Z. Kolmogorova was a regular participant in the campaigns organized by Dyatlov. Zina is the most experienced, the most popular member of our section, the organizer of almost all Sunday campaigns, evenings, various extracurricular activities held by the section. I do not know of any case when someone would be unhappy or offended by Zina, only the best, the best, can be said about it.
Doroshenko was somewhat stubborn, but if he caught fire, he was ready to roll mountains (and tossed).

Prepared for the campaign very well. This of course applies to other participants - they are all physically and technically prepared for this campaign. In general, I think this area is not difficult in terms of tourism, completely passable (crossed out "in any" - comment ed.) In any month of winter and summer. The only "but" is the non-settlement of the district.
The control period of the group expired on February 12-13. Taking into account the Dyatlovs' deal with the returned Yudin, in transferring the deadline to 16-17, and the blizzard at the end of February, reported by Yu. Blinov, who returned from a campaign that could delay the advancement of the Dyatlov group, measures were taken only on the number 18. - In Ivdel flew AS Gordo and Y. Blinov. On February 21, our group was organized under the direction of B.Slobtsov. On the morning of February 22, we flew to Ivdel.


Sheet 364


The incident area was abandoned only on February 23, in two groups. The second group was in place (the word from 4 letters is unworkable - note ed.) In the second half of the day. The array of Mr. Oorten has three separate vertices, not much different from each other. In conditions of poor visibility, the pilots landed us erroneously under the eastern peak of the massif. At the moment, we were faced with the task of determining whether there was a group at the top, or we had to descend south into the valley of the Lozva River, from which we assumed that the Dyatlov group would begin its assault on the summit.
At the top, under which the pilots dropped us off, no traces were found.

The next day was devoted to an ineffectual search for a trace along the Lozve River.

On the same day (24) we went down to the river Auspiya, where, according to the project, the Woodpeckers had to arrange their food store. On the left bank of the river, an old ski track was discovered on this site almost indistinguishable. Despite the approach of the evening, the group broke into 2 halves. One went downstream, the other went up. Lower group in km. 5 from our parking lot found an overnight group of Dyatlov. There were no traces indicating the day of spending the night and the storage of products. The upper group lost track.


Sheet 365


The next day we decided to find the exit of the group from the valley of the river. To solve this problem, we split into three orders. One had to find the lost track or establish its direction. Others were looking for a food warehouse and the output of the Dyatlov group from the valley of the river. Auspia to the South.
The first group (Slobotsov, M. Sharavin and conductor Ivan ....) in the azimuth taken from the ski track of the group Dyatlova went to the pass Auspiya - Lozva. The conductor persistently assured us that the group certainly failed in the failure of Mr. Oerten. The guys, having left the "remains" at the pass of the conductor, decided to approach or at least consider the approaches to the "failure" if possible. The guys at an attempt to climb the ridge height of 1079 found an abandoned tent. In the camp they brought three cameras, Slobodin's jacket, an ice ax, which was stuck near the tent, a flashlight found near the tent and an alcohol flask.

At four o'clock we were caught by a group of Kurikov with a walkie-talkie. A radiogram was immediately transmitted about what happened to the coordinates of the tent. By radio, we were given the task of organizing a landing site for a helicopter and choosing a place for a camp for 50 people.


Sheet 366


During the search for a place for the camp, M.Sharavin discovered two dead bodies covered with snow from the cedar. Nearby, a fire was burning. Around a dozen small fir-trees were cut down by a Finnish knife. The lower dry branches of cedar were broken off. The snow around was trampled. A few five-centimeter raw branches were also broken on the cedar at an altitude of 3-4 meters. Some of them remained lying around the fire.
Operational group with dogs at this time examined the tent. By the end of the day they found two more bodies: Kolmogorov and Dyatlov.

Our group and the two arriving groups of Karelin and Captain Chernyshov did not take part in the search that day. All were busy transporting property from the pass to the Auspia Valley, where it was decided to organize a camp.
The next morning 27 continued their search with dogs. The rest, dismantling the tent, began to feel the snow cover of the heights with ski poles.
After the prosecutor of Ivdel's census of the property of the group, it was suggested to me and M.Sharavin to collect things and transport them to the landing site of the helicopter.
The tent is set on the slope of height 1079. Entrance to the south. The steepness of the slope in this area approx. 20-25 °. Depth of snow up to 1.5 meters. A shallow pit is dug for the horizontal installation of the tent.


Sheet 367


Under the tent put 8 pairs of skis down the bindings. Thanks to the dense snow cover, the tent was installed very firmly. Everything is covered with already clammy snow, except for the southern skate, fortified on a ski pole and tied for a pair of skis. Under the northern ridge there was no stick.
Snow was chosen with the help of skis and ski poles. Ten people worked without any system. In most cases ("things" are crossed out - note ed.) Everything was pulled out directly from under the snow, so it's very difficult to determine where and how each thing was.
First they took out several blankets, frozen in a ball, then buckets, a stove, 2-3 sacks of breadcrumbs, boots, etc. The things in the tent are arranged in the following order. At the bottom of the bed rucksacks. Then 2-3 blankets. Next were the quilted jackets and personal belongings of the participants. Buckets, stove, ax, saw were lying at the entrance to the right. Here was part of the products: rusks, sugar, condensed milk, untied bag with a loin. The rest of the products were in the far right corner. Most of the shoes ("lying" - crossed out, comment ed.) Were placed on the left side of the tent. Two pairs - right in the middle. The rest of the things are in disorder in the tent.

Apparently the group was in the final stage of dressing and preparing for the night at the time of the incident. In the near half found a few crusts from the loin. There are rusks scattered all over the tent.


Sheet 368


On top of all things lay a ski-slit cut into several pieces, on which, apparently, the northern end of the tent was fortified. Decide on the spoilage of the stick, considering that in the group there were no spares available only under special circumstances.
On January 31, the group from the night we found on the river Auspia reached the pass and then climbed onto it. Bad weather prevented Dyatlov from making the pass the base for the storming of Otterten. I had to retreat to the valley (the next word is illegible - note ed.). On this day the group was very tired: it was affected by a constant ascent and deep snow in the area. To dig a hole for a bonfire late and dinner was welded on poles.
We woke up late. The weather got worse. Given the backlog of the schedule for 1 day (the word "all" is crossed out, note ed.), It was decided to go to the assault. Woodpeckers definitely planned to make a cold night. Carrying out with the relocation of products, the device labaza, came out only at three o'clock. At the place (corrected from "to the place" - approx.), Where the tent was set, were about 5 hours. Nespesha dig a hole, and calmly prepared for bed. About 7 o'clock something unusual yet unprecedented nobody has forced tourists to leave a tent in a panic. Running stripped, in bad weather at night from a single warm corner is possible only under pain of death. This is a strange phenomenon (light penetrating through the tent, sound, and possibly gases)


Sheet 369


acted for a while. time, adjusting tourists.
The air temperature was -15 ° C this evening. The wind is about the same strength as in the search for in the early days, grass snow. Supposed that someone left the tent (barefoot!) A gust of wind could carry him down. The cry for help immediately lifted everyone to their feet. Woodpeckers and Krivonischenko, who were at the end of the tent, jumped into the hole made by the Finnish knife of Krivonischenko.
Fascinated by a single thought: "A comrade must be saved," a friendly group with one flashlight the other (Chinese) was dropped by Dyatlov at the entrance from the tent, ran to the first stone ridge. - almost horizontal platform (up to 5 °), studded with stones. On such a platform, no effort is needed to resist any wind. Even at the tent, where the steepness of the slope reaches 20 °, it is enough to lie down in the direction of the wind and you will remain in place. However, such an attempt was not made. The group, not stopping, continued to retreat. This is indicated by the traces discovered by us. I also can not imagine that in the ranks of such a group a panic-madman might appear and carry him to his death.

The protocol is filled by me personally. V. Brusnitsin (signature)

Prosecutor criminalist Signature (Ivanov)

ml. counselor of justice


Dyatlov Pass: Open Discussion
Any thoughts on the matter?