- CASE FILES
questioning the witness
On April 14, 1959, the prosecutor of the Investigative Department of the Prosecutor's Office of the Sverdlovsk Region, Romanov, the adviser of justice Romanov, interrogated this in the oblast prosecutor's office as a witness, in compliance with Article 162-168 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the RSFSR
1. Surname, first name and patronymic Kolevatova Rima S.
2. Year of birth in 1929 born
3. Place of birth in Sverdlovsk
6. Education (which school graduated and when: Higher, in 1954 graduated from the Sverdlovsk Teacher Training Institute
7. Occupation: a) currently - the place of work and position: the same. Uch. Part of the school number 10b) at the time the testimony refers to: the same.
8. Previous conviction: - -
9. Permanent residence (exact address and telephone number): Sverdlovsk, ul. Malysheva 136, apt. 42
10. Passport: -
11. What is the relationship with the accused: -. -
On the responsibility for the first part of Art. 92 of the Criminal Code of the RSFSR for refusing to testify and under Art. 95 Criminal Code of the RSFSR for giving knowingly false testimony is forewarned. Signed.
Turnover:(the left side of the page is illegible)
The witness showed When climbing Mount Oorten ... February of this year, a group of tourists of the Ural Polytechnic Institute died (in this group ... my brother Alexander Kolevatov, ... nt 4 th year of the Faculty of Physics and Technology) also died. I ... I know the composition of the group, I met some of the participants in the campaign, I know how the group was getting ready ... my job was to provide the group with everything necessary for the campaign). We talked a lot about ... the road. Finally, I had to be a direct witness and even a little participant in the search for the missing group.
... I read it is absolutely necessary to note, except ... the following shortcomings in the organization of the campaign: To organize such tourist hikes ... There are very meager means. There was a 22-day ski crossing over deserted places in winter conditions. Naturally, it is supposed to have a stock of ... nutritional products, in particular, everyone ... it was necessary to have an inviolable supply of chocolate (just as they had a box of matches each in the breast pocket of the braid ...). The Institute allocated to each student ... about 100 (one hundred) rubles in aid, which, ... oh, was not enough. The rest of the money was collected by the members of the group, they put together 350 rubles each. ... I will not be mistaken if I say that much for the equipment ... the group got into the sports club of UPI with the fight. ... the brother "grabbed", as he himself put it, each storm participant the storm suits, he ... was told for some time that the floor storms ... only had climbers, and demanded ... them (after storm suits they came ... to our house). On the last day, on the day of the exit, Alexander took out wool sweaters and brought them ... "smuggling", putting on himself 3 pieces. The group did not have sleeping bags.
2.The search of the missing group started with a great delay. The group was supposed to return in Sverdlovsk on February 14-15, on February 12 they were to send a telegram from Vizhay, their final point along the route. Parents were worried about their children and, of course, they called both the UPI sports club and the city sports club (according to Dubinina and Slobodin's families). I myself called the institute only on February 17, 3 days after the expected return date. I couldn't get hold of UPI sports club chairman Gordo, all my attempts to get through to him were futile. I then called the city sports club Comrade Ufimtsev. He assured me that there is nothing to worry about, that the group is delayed for a week and they are on their way back. A certain fact is indignant and criminal: Gordo informed UPI party committee that a telegram had been received from Vizhay on February 18 reporting a delay of the group. Secretary of the UPI party committee Comrade Zaostrovsky F.P. did not check on Gordo's report and did not inform the Director of UPI Comrade Syunov N.S., about the incident. The Director learned about the missing group only after he was phoned by Comrade Pedchenko E.P. from the city party committee (I myself had to go to the city committee with a request to take measures to initiate search of the missing group). There was a telegram though, but from a different group that was in the same area (Blinov's group), so the institute's directorate was not informed about the negligence. The search began only at the insistence of the parents of tourists.
When the Polytechnic Institute began organizing the search, it turned out that the sports club did not have a route map which the hikers were supposed to follow in their trek, that is a scheme printed over a map. The deputy
chairman of the UPI sports club, Comrade Milman, learned from third parties that I had a map with the route before the group went on their hike, and called my sister Nina Sergeevna Anisimova with a request to provide the map to be used in the search. But my brother Alexander took this map with him on the trek. A map was given to to this brother (Comrade Milman) by Ignaty Fokich Ryagin, deputy head of the trust Gipromedrud (if I'm not mistaken in the name), friend of ours. He knew about the trek because we (me and my brother) talked with him about the forthcoming trek. After the call from the UPI sports club at our request I.F. Ryagin restored from memory the route and drew it on a map, which I personally passed on February 19 to Colonel Ortyukov (who was the first one to fly to find the group).
The above fact testifies to the utter indifference and lack of control on behalf of those responsible for organizing the campaign and launching the search groups.
3. The indignation is caused by the organization of funerals. Each of the parents was calledindividuallyor in the Regional Party Committee (comrade Serkov ZT) or at the Polytechnic Institute and offered to bury the victims in Ivdel. What do the guys have to Ivdel? We lived in Sverdlovsk, studied in Sverdlovsk, and we were offered burying in Ivdel. T. Serkov of each of the parents tried to convince (from their words) that everyone, even the people of Sverdlovsk, agreed to bury me in Ivdel (we, Koliatov, Slobidin, Dubininov immediately flatly protested against such a proposal) that they would be buried in a mass grave, that in Ivdel they will have an obelisk. The question arises: "Why could not the same thing be done in Sverdlovsk?" When Zina Kolmogorova's parents were also offered to bury her daughter in Ivdel, they refused to do so and offered to collect all
Parents in UPI together to coordinate this issue. To this the secretary of the party committee UPI (I do not remember his name exactly) answered that my parents live in different places and it is impossible to collect them. What kind of conspiracy is this? Why did I have to endure so many trials, even go to the secretary of the Obkom Party, Comrade Kuroyedov, to get a funeral in my native Sverdlovsk! A soulless attitude toward people who have suffered such a great, inconsolable grief. So many mothers, fathers, relatives, lost good, honest people were forced to suffer.
4. I had to bury each of the lost tourists found. Why do they have such brown and dark shades of hands and faces? How to explain the fact that four of those who were at the fire and remained alive on all assumptions made no attempt to return to the tent? If ... much warmer clothes (for those things that are missing among the ones found in the tent) ... this is a natural disaster, certainly by staying at the fire, the guys would certainly crawl to the tent. The whole group could not die from the snowstorm. Why did they run so panicky from the tent?
A group of tourists from the Pedagogical Institute of the Geographical Faculty (from their words), who was in the city of Chistop (southeast), saw in these days, in the first days of February, in the vicinity of Otterten some kind of fireball. The same fireballs were fixed later. What is their origin? Could they be the cause of the death of the ... th group of guys? After all, the group consisted of hardy and experienced people. Woodpeckers in these places was the third time. Lyuda Dubinina herself led the group to Chistop in the winter of 1958, many of the guys (Kolevatov, Dubinin, Doroshenko) were on campaigns in the Sayans. Could not they perish
only from the raging storm.
Why, sending the group on a campaign, it was not equipped with a walkie-talkie? Seeing the hopelessness of their situation, the guys would undoubtedly give a distress signal. When these same participants of the campaign met the New Year 1959 in the forest, leaving for 2 days at the station. Fighters (on the Perm railway), they also had a walkie-talkie, they listened to Moscow. The radio took and carried with him then Igor Dyatlov (as my brother told me). This again indicates the sad lack of control of our sports organizations.
I demand on behalf of all my relatives, on behalf of the mother (and she does not suffer such a big and heavy loss) in bringing to justice those people who irresponsibly organized the campaign: comrade Kurochkin, chairman of the city sports section, comrade Ufimtsev, his deputy , t. Gordo - the chairman of the sports club of the Ural Polytechnic Institute.
I ask you to objectively understand the reasons for the death of a group of tourists, parents and relatives to give an opportunity to learn about these reasons.
April 16, 1959 Kolevatova (signature)
Prosecutor of the Investigation Department /signature /